Monday, February 08, 2010

Focaccia

M makes fantastic focaccia. I crave it. The other day we had friends over for dinner, and had it with lamb. They asked for the recipe, so I had to type it up anyway. Therefore, I share it with you.

Makes 1 round 10-inch loaf

1 package active dry yeast
3.5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
5 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary (optional)

1) Dissolve the yeast in .5 cup warm water. Let stand from 10 minutes. Sift the flour into a large bowl, make a well in the center, and add the yeast mixture, salt, and 2 tablespoons oil. Mix in the flour and add more water to make a dough.

2) Turn out onto a floured surface and knead the dough for about 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Return to the bowl, cover with a cloth, and allow to rise in a warm place for 2-2.5 hours, until the dough has doubled in bulk.

3) Punch down the dough and knead again for a few minutes. Press into an oiled 10-inch tart or pie pan  and cover with a damp cloth. Let rise for 30 minutes.  Preheat the oven to 400.

4) Poke the dough all over with your fingers to make little dimples in the surface. Pour the remaining olive oil over the dough, brushing it out to the edges. Sprinkle with the sea salt and rosemary if using.

5) Bake for 20-25 minutes, until pale gold in color. Carefully remove from the pan (a plastic knife is handy here) and let cool on a rack. Best eaten still warm, but also freezes well.


Enjoy.

Posted via email from daveyounce's posterous

5 comments:

Disco Mom said...

And where's the lamb recipe? I spend so much time baking my regular cooking skills are going downhill. Spaghetti tonight, standby favorites all week. I probably buy and cook lamb less than once a year. But it's sooo good and now I want you to make me some. Or at least give me a recipe I can follow and count on.

Disco Mom said...

Unfortunately I JUST sent Ed to the store in prep for the next big snowstorm, and rosemary was not on the list. It's not optional to me, so I'll have to wait until I can get some.

Dave Y said...

the lamb recipe is the one from my knife skills class - its for french-trimmed rack of lamb. Which isn't cheap but is extremely tasty. I will type it up soonish.

I know you say rosemary's not optional, but you could sub in some thin-sliced tomatoes or onions or olives on top with another herb like thyme or maybe even oregano. And believe me its fantastic with just the pure unadulterated coarse salt. I think you should make a batch now, without rosemary, to see what I mean, and another later when you have rosemary on hand. No harm in two focaccias, I always say. (Finally it makes sense for me to say it, after all those years of confused looks!)

Shells said...

In step 1 it says to add water, but doesn't say how much. I usually add about a cup and a quarter, or so.

Maren said...

Mmmmm... foccacia. Delicious. I will try this soonish.