Friday, October 03, 2008

Goodreads: another Hellboy and The Arrival

Hellboy Volume 7: The Troll Witch and Other Stories Hellboy Volume 7: The Troll Witch and Other Stories by Mike Mignola


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
As with most compilations, this one is hit-and-miss. I do enjoy the way Mignola will take an old folk tale from someplace like central Africa or Norway or Malaysia and then retell it through Hellboy. Probably my favorite in this collection is "Dr. Carp's Experiment", because of the electric harpoons. But Makoma would be a close second.


View all my reviews.

The Arrival The Arrival by Shaun Tan


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
Wordless and beautiful - The story of an immigrant man and his arrival in a new land, where everything is foreign. I think I'll be giving this one as a gift sometime soon; just need to figure out who needs it.


View all my reviews.

5 comments:

Maren said...

Is it I?

MommyHale said...

I put The Arrival on hold at the library. I'll let you know how I like it but it looks great.

Dave Y said...

@Maren: I dunno, might be. Do you have a birthday coming up or something?

Just Katy said...

I loved The Arrival too! But I'm a gig Shaun Tan fan. Have you seen his book The Rabbits?

Dave Y said...

@katy: no, but I'm going to have to check it out now!